“There were two modules that were particularly helpful for me…The module about preparing your talk was really helpful…It helped me fill in stories where I needed to fill in a story and applications for real-life examples…And then the other part was the last module, Know When to Scale…That last module helped me really make sense of it all.”
Dr. Peggy DeLong joins Maryalice Goldsmith on the podcast this week to talk about her journey to The Speaker Lab and what she’s accomplished since. Together, they dig into what Dr. Peggy speaks about, how she found her niche, and what pushed her to take the next step to grow her business.
“Well, a couple of things came together at perfect timing. Actually three things. Two opportunities literally fell in my lap. I’ve been a speaker for 20 years, often speaking for free, lots of different reasons and not making much movement. And then all of a sudden, the largest audience opportunity came my way without pitching, and the largest fee came my way. So I thought I really better level up my game.”
In this episode, they talk about:
- The impact of gratitude on your bad days
- Gaining clarity through the programming and resources TSL has
- How Peggy structures her talks and her message
- The power of finding your niche
- When Peggy fits in her Daily Power Hour
- Learning how to say no to things that are good, not great
- How Peggy takes care of herself so she can take care of everyone else the way she does
- The ins and outs of Peggy’s Pre-Talk routine
“I teach methods like gratitude and other things that feel good while we’re doing them. So it’s not a chore. You can actually look forward to doing these things, and when you do them on a regular basis, you are setting yourself up for positive mental health in the future.”
- [00:04:20] Where did you find Gratitude?
- [00:07:57] Brain psychology of habits and why changing your thoughts can change your life?
- [00:11:38] What aligned to make you take the jump?
- [00:15:55] What helped you grow the most in the program?
- [00:18:08] Where is your speaking business taking you?
- [00:21:03] What is your framework for mental health?
- [00:23:13] What do you talks center around?
- [00:28:25] What does your schedule look like to build your business every day?
- [00:30:29] What was your biggest lesson to learn in the program?
- [00:33:48] What is your pre-talk routine?