095. How to Pivot to a Speaking Career With Jenny Blake
Whether you’re a business owner, self-employed or work for a company, you know today’s marketplace isn’t like the past. It’s no longer about getting a good job and staying with a company for 40 or 50 years until you retire.
Today it’s about pivoting, and here to share just how to pivot in your career is Jenny Blake.
Jenny is the best-selling author beyond Life After College and her upcoming book, Pivot. She’s also an entrepreneur and well-known speaker who formerly worked at Google honing her skills as a coach and speaker.
On this episode of The Speaker Lab, Jenny explains why she left Google to move to New York City and start her own business. She also details how speaking fits into her overall business and career goals, as well as the four stages to pivoting from what you’re doing now to what you want to do in the future. Listen in for all of that and so much more on today’s show!
THE FINER DETAILS OF THIS SHOW:
- Why did she wear turtlenecks when speaking for 5 years?
- What one keynote topic brought in 50% of her income for 3 years?
- Did she speak to an empty room for her first demo video?
- How she doubled her speaking rate when she was starting out.
- What to double down on when making a transition.
- What is drafting and how can you see it for success?
- Should you get a mentor?
- The 4 stages to pivoting successfully.
- And so much more!
Tweetable: “Don’t be afraid to negotiate, or to get a no!” Jenny Blake
- Jenny Blake’s web site
- Pivot podcast
- Pivot, by Jenny Blake
- Pivot method coaching
- Life After College, by Jenny Blake
- Jenny Blake on Twitter
- The Speaker Lab Summit
- The Speaker Lab Facebook group
- Top Speakers Tips
- Ready for more speakers? Join our free speaker workshop
- Got questions? Send them in here
- Email me!
- Subscribe on iTunes, and leave us a rating or review