There are a lot of great tools for speakers to build their business, and it can be overwhelming to know what to use or where to go.
To make it simpler, we put together this resource page of tools we use and recommend. I recommend bookmarking this page for your reference and convenience.
DISCLOSURE: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that I have experience with all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
My Most Recommended
I find myself recommending these tools again and again. These are the big ones that make our business happen.
Building an email list is an absolute must for speakers. If you want to build long-term relationships with both clients/decision makers and audience members/fans, then you must build an email list. We recommend (and currently use) ConvertKit. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using ConvertKit for your email service provider.
Having a website as a speaker is a must. The simplest way to do that is with WordPress and the simplest way to host that site is Bluehost. You can use their 1-click automatic WordPress installation which makes getting your site up and running a breeze.
We’ve been using LeadPages for several years, and I’m not sure we could function without it. They help you build high-quality landing pages and squeeze pages. This makes it easy to grow your email list by converting your audiences into subscribers.
We will take you by the hand to show you everything you need to know about booking gigs – Absolutely Free!
- Freshbooks: Easy to use small business accounting software designed for the non-accountant.
- Quickbooks Online: Accounting software designed to manage payroll, inventory, sales and other needs of a small business.
- You Need A Budget (YNAB): Software built to give you laser-focus with your money. Pay off your debt, save more money, and break the paycheck to paycheck cycle.
- Fizzle: Building an online business is not easy, but Fizzle does a great job walking you through every step of the way. Their video lessons are great, but the best part is the growing forum where entrepreneurs like you gather, share success, ask for feedback, and encourage one another. Click here to watch a webinar with Grant and the Fizzle Team
- ConvertKit: Building an email list is one of the single most important things to do when you’re building a business. ConvertKit is the “new kid in town”, but it’s super intuitive, and it’s all we use.
- LeadPages: LeadPages is my favorite tool for creating landing pages and email signup forms. We use it everywhere. If you are on our list, you probably used one of our LeadPages :).
- SumoMe: SumoMe is a suite of free tools that can be used to grow your website’s traffic. TheSumoMe tools are easy to install and work on any website.
Online Course Tools
- Thinkific: If you’re building online courses, you need Thinkific. They make it incredibly easy to build, market, and sell beautiful courses. Use our link to get three months of the business plan FREE.
- Camtasia: Being in front of the camera can be scary. If you want to record training videos, it is much easier (and safer) to create slides and record your screen as you go through them.
- ScreenFlow: Allows you to record the contents of your entire monitor while also capturing your video camera, iOS device, microphone and your computer audio.
- WishList: Protecting content and managing members is extremely important when running a membership site. WishList Member does that and so much more. Plus it’s intuitive and easy to use.
Online Shopping Carts
- Gumroad: An easy-to-use platform that enables creators to sell products directly to consumers.
- SamCart: A shopping cart for information marketers and internet marketers selling digital products online.
- PayPal: A fast, safe way to send money, make an online payment, receive money or set up a merchant account.
Online Business Tools
- Groove: Simple help desk software designed to help small businesses deliver personal customer support.
- Skitch: An app developed by Evernote to help you get your point across with fewer words using annotation, shapes and sketches.
- SurveyMonkey: Allows you to create and publish online surveys in minutes, and view results graphically and in real time.
- TypeForm: A form & survey builder that makes asking questions easy & human on any device.
- Wishlist: Protecting content and managing members is extremely important when running a membership site. WishList Member does that and so much more. Plus it’s intuitive and easy to use.
- Zapier: Allows you to automate tasks between other online apps. This helps you use complementary apps side-by-side!
- 99 Designs: Ever wonder how to get design work done if you don’t have many connections? At 99Designs, dozens of talented designers compete to deliver the best design for your creative needs.
- Elance/Odesk: Elance is a platform where freelancers are given the opportunity to make a profile in order to be discovered by potential clients.
- Fiverr: A global online marketplace offering tasks and services, beginning at a cost of $5 per job performed.
- Audible: Get digital audiobooks, radio and TV programs, and audio versions of magazines and newspapers right to your computer or mobile devices.
- ATR 2100 (podcast mic): This microphone plugs right into your computer’s USB port, and functions seamlessly with your favorite recording software.
- Call Recorder: Call Recorder records Skype audio and video calls directly to your Mac.
- Libsyn: Your one stop solution for everything you need to start podcasting, get your podcast in iTunes and even turn your show into an App.
- Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community that helps you create, monetize and grow your podcast!
- Skype: Allows users to communicate through instant messaging, voice, and video chat.
- Evernote: Managing files between team members can be tough. We use Evernote to collaborate on documents and all stay organized and on the same page.
- Focus@Will: Staying focused is hard. I love to use Focus@Will which provides music scientifically optimized to boost concentration and help you stay focused.
- Google Calendar: A free online calendar, that makes it easy to keep track of life’s important events all in one place.
- Things: An easy to use task manager that allows you to enter and organize all your your to-dos.
- Buffer: Buffer is a software application designed to manage social networks, by providing the means for a user to schedule posts to Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin.
- Edgar: Edgar is a social media scheduling tool that automatically builds a library of every update a user uploads, so they can share them again and again over time.
- Asana: A task management tool, that allows teams to share, plan, organize, and track progress of the tasks that each member is working on.
- Dropbox: A service that keeps your files safe, synced, and easy to share. Bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and never lose a file again.
- Highrise: A super simple CRM Software tool that helps you stay organized. Share contacts with your team. Track tasks & set reminders.
- LastPass: Award-winning password manager, saves your passwords and gives you secure access from every computer and mobile device.
- Slack: Brings all your communication together in one place. It’s real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.
- AwardWallet: Allows you to track frequent flyer miles for FREE. You can access your award balances from your cell phone, PDA or a BlackBerry.
- Lyft: As mobile-phone application facilitating peer-to-peer ridesharing by connecting passengers who need a ride with drivers who have a car. Download using the link above for up to $50 in free ride credit!
- TripIt: Organizes your travel plans in one place. Finds alternative flights. Sends real-time alerts. Snags the best seat.
- Uber: Uber connects you with a driver in minutes. Get a taxi, private car or rideshare from your mobile phone. Get you first ride free up to $15 by using the provided link.
- Chatroll: A scalable, real-time chat solution that provides unmatched interaction and engagement for live online events.
- Google Hangout: Brings conversations to life with photos, emoji, and even group video calls for free.
- Webinar Ninja: The easiest way to create high-converting webinars. The best webinar software & service for small businesses.
Favorite Business Books
- 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss: #1 New York Times best-selling author Tim Ferriss, teaches you how to escape the 9-5, live anywhere, and join the new rich.
- The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau: Chris Guillebeau shows you how to lead of life of adventure, meaning and purpose – and earn a good living.
- Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port: Instructional guide for starting and growing a successful service business.
- The E-Myth by Michael Gerber: This instant classic, and phenomenal bestseller dispels the myths about starting your own business.
- Rework by Jason Fried : Rework shows you why plans are actually harmful, why you don’t need outside investors, and why you’re better off ignoring the competition.
Favorite Speaking Books
- Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley: An insightful, entertaining parable that’s an excellent guide for any speaker, Communicating for a Change takes a simple approach to delivering effectively.
- Confessions of a Public Speaker by Scott Berkun: Scott Berkun reveals the techniques behind what great communicators do, and shows how anyone can learn to use them well.
- Made To Stick by Chip & Dan Heath: The authors reveal the anatomy of ideas that stick and explain ways to make ideas stickier, such as applying the “human scale principle,” using the “Velcro Theory of Memory,” and creating “curiosity gaps.”
- Platform by Michael Hyatt: In this step-by-step guide, Michael Hyatt, former CEO and current Chairman of Thomas Nelson Publishers, takes readers behind the scenes, into the new world of social media success.
- Steal The Show by Michael Port: An inspiring program full of essential advice for spotlight lovers and wallflowers alike that will teach readers how to bring any crowd to its feet.