340. Your Signature Message with Erick Rheam
Your Signature Message with Erick Rheam
Erick Rheam is back for episode 340 of The Speaker Lab and he’ll explain what a signature message is and why it’s critical to helping you not only survive but thrive during times of change (like the recent pandemic). Finding your signature message is key to longevity and success in the speaking industry.
“It’s important that we as speakers, we don’t get frustrated as we search for own signature message. I think often, We feel like we have to have it nailed from day one. And the truth of the matter is, it’S kind of an evolutionary process. It takes time to pivot and figure it out.”
It can be difficult to know where to start or how to pick what your signature message could be. Here are some practical questions to ask yourself to help determiner YOUR signature message.
- What’s my background?
- Where do I have credibility?
- What are you passionate about?
- What strengths do others see in you?
Making a list of the different subjects that you have experience or expertise in might be helpful. Drawing a mind-map of the things that excite you might be helpful. Remembering the skills or certifications that you have might help. Asking others to identify your strengths might help. Remember, your signature message should resonate with who you are and what makes you, you!
Key elements make up the difference between hobbyist and professional speakers.
CHARACTERISTICS OF PROFESSIONAL SPEAKERS:
- CONSISTENT WORK HABITS
- REINVEST IN THEIR BUSINESS
- FOCUSED ON NETWORKING
- DEVELOP AND FOLLOW A SYSTEM
- CLIENT FOCUSED
- CLARIFY AUDIENCE
- DELIVER SIGNATURE MESSAGE
Your signature message is crucial for setting you apart. Here are the FOUR main reasons why:
- Provides clarity to you as a speaker
- Creates ease to pivot into various platforms within the business
- Builds your brand, which attracts the right audience
- Cultivates profit for your business
Once you determine what your signature message is going to be, you need to test it out!
Erick shares different outlets that you can use to test out your ideas:
- Social Media
- Speaking Events
THE FINER DETAILS OF THIS SHOW:
- Who are some examples of speakers with signature messages?
- Why riches are in the niches.
- Is it ok to try something new at a speaking gig?
- Why you shouldn’t be afraid to prune down your message.
- What role does mindset play in finding your signature message?
- Why does having a creative outlet help you as a speaker?
- And so much more!