051. What It’s Really Like to Start a Speaking Career With Melanie Deziel
On today’s episode of The Speaker Lab, I have the privilege of talking with one of my very own Booked and Paid to Speak students, Melanie Deziel.
Melanie is currently beginning her speaking business and offers a unique perspective as she starts her journey. She’s as adventurous in beginning a new speaking career as she is in other aspects of her work – she is preparing to go to New Zealand for a job! She shares about that too on today.
On this edition, Melanie also shares how speaking fits into her current position as a content strategist, what her first speaking experience was and how it sparked her interest in making a career move into more speaking opportunities.
In addition, she offers her guidance on how to tweak small aspects for each client, and why she enjoys speaking even though she’s introverted. Listen in to hear all of that and so much more on this episode of The Speaker Lab!
THE FINER DETAILS OF THIS SHOW
- How Melanie got her first speaking job.
- How much time should you spend researching your content?
- What can you do to make each presentation individual to the clients?
- How to transition into paid speaking jobs.
- What types of conferences should you focus on?
- How can you use acronyms and simple imagery to your advantage?
- The importance of being able to gauge the crowd before your talk.
- How to balance a full-time career and speaking on the side.
- And much, much more!
Tweetable: “I was no stranger to off-hours hustling!“– Melanie Deziel
- Melanie Deziel’s website
- Melanie Deziel on LinkedIn
- Melanie Deziel on Twitter
- Melanie Deziel on Instagram
- The Speaker Lab Facebook group
- Top Speakers Tips
- Ready for more speakers? Join our free speaker workshop
- Got questions? Send them in here
- Email me!
- Subscribe on iTunes, and leave us a rating or review